Very low carb pumpkin pie
•1 15 oz can pumpkin
•2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (or unsweetened almond milk, milk, or cream - milk has more carbs, so adjust)
•1/3 cup cream
•1 C sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener (zero-carb sweetener such as liquid sucralose preferred)
•1 teaspoon dark molasses (optional)
•2 teaspoon cinnamon
•1 scant teaspoon nutmeg
•1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
•1/4 t salt
As an artificial sweetener, I prefer a form of liquid sucralose, as powdered types have more carbs and sometimes an off-taste.
1) Preheat oven to 425 F. (important)
2) Dump all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and whirl to blend.
3) Pour into the crust.
4) Put the pie in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 375 F. In 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 300 F. (This cooks the crust, so it isn't soggy, but then allows the custard to bake more slowly.) Bake until almost set in the middle, about 30 to 40 minutes more. If it starts to crack a bit around the edges, it's probably ready
•1 cup pecan pieces (frozen)
•2 T melted butter
•2 T sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener of your choice
1. Take pecans out of the freezer and measure them into a food processor (you can use a blender, but be careful not to blend them down too small). Pulse the processor until the largest pieces are as big as lentils or split peas.
2. Add the butter and the sweetener (I prefer "liquid Splenda"). Blend until it's mixed evenly.
3. Dump it into a pie pan, and push with your fingers to cover the bottom and sides. It should be the right consistency to mold the crust to the pie pan evenly.
Last edited by SSC on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total