4 green tomatoes
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 cup course yellow corn meal
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp ground red pepper
1. Wash the green tomatoes, remove stems, and cut them into rounds of about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch thickness. The thinner they are, the crispier they will be, but thicker slices maintain more of that tart green tomato taste.
2. Beat the eggs in a small bowl, with milk.
3. In a shallow bowl or plate, mix the flour and cornmeal. Then add the ground black pepper, garlic powder, salt, and ground red pepper. Mix well.
4. Dip each green tomato slice in the egg-milk mixture until fully submerged, then pull them out and coat them with the flour mixture and set aside on a plate.
5. Fill the bottom of a heavy skillet with about 3/4 inch of frying oil and heat it over medium-high heat (medium on a gas stove) until a little flour dropped in sizzles and bubbles.
6. Carefully place the breaded green tomato slices into the oil. Fry the slices, rotate and flip them, until both sides are golden brown. When done, remove each slice and place it on paper towels to soak up the excess oil.