ULM Game is Military Appreciation Day
Kentucky Football Notebook
Paul Warford (above) was named game captain along with Stuart Hines
Oct. 22, 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Saturday's football game between the University of Louisiana at Monroe and the University of Kentucky will be the annual Military Appreciation Day at Commonwealth Stadium.
Here are some features of Military Appreciation Day:
* During the pregame show, the Silver Wings parachute group will land in the stadium. The Silver Wings, founded in 1965, are an elite squad based in Ft. Benning, Ga., and demonstrate the parachute capabilities of today's airborne forces.
* At the end of the national anthem, there will be a flyover by two AH-64D Apache helicopters, which are part of the 8-229 th Attack Helicopter Battalion – the Flying Tigers – out of Ft. Knox, Ky. Formed in 1964, the Flying Tigers are prepared to go anywhere in the world to fight for freedom.
* A giant United States flag, which covers the football field, will be unfurled by the UK Army and Air Force ROTC cadets.
* Soldiers from Ft. Knox will be in attendance, led by Major General James Milano.
* Personnel from the Kentucky National Guard, led by Adjutant General Edward W. Tonini and Deputy Adjutant General Joseph Richie, will be present.
* Generals Milano and Tonini will take part in the coin toss.
* Military personnel from the Veterans Hospital will be in attendance.
Locke Probable to Play: Junior Derrick Locke is expected to be available for some action during Saturday's game against the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Coach Rich Brooks said following Thursday's practice.
Brooks said that Locke, who incurred a sprained medial collateral knee ligament in last Saturday's win at Auburn, was sore after running on Wednesday. The coach added that Locke was better on Thursday and, barring a setback, should be able to have some participation against ULM.
Click here to find out more!
Safety Taiedo Smith and tailback Moncell Allen, who are recovering from illness, participated in Thursday's practice and should be available on Saturday.
Hines, P. Warford are Game Captains: Junior cornerback Paul Warford and sophomore offensive guard Stuart Hines are the game captains for the contest against the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Coach Rich Brooks has announced.
Game captains are usually chosen on the basis of performance in the previous game. UK defeated Auburn, 21-14, last Saturday. Hines was a key member of the offensive line that paved the way for 282 rushing yards, most against a Southeastern Conference opponent in 14 years. Coming off an injury, Warford made six tackles and tied a career high with three pass breakups.
Hines and Warford will join permanent captains Zipp Duncan and Corey Peters at the pregame coin toss.
Bogue a Semifinalist for the Campbell Trophy: Tight end Ross Bogue is a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, awarded by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame for the college football student-athlete of the year.
Bogue, a senior from Suwanee, Ga., has a grade-point average of 3.19. He graduated in May with a degree in community communications and leadership development. He is taking classes toward a second major and eventually plans to work on a master's in business administration. On the field, he has caught two passes for 14 yards this season, including a touchdown reception against Florida.
If Bogue is named a finalist, he will receive an $18,000 scholarship from the National Football Foundation. Over the years, UK has had four winners of the NFF scholarship, with the most recent winner being Jacob Tamme in 2007.
Less than 500 Tickets for ULM and Tennessee: Tickets are available for each of Kentucky's remaining four home games. However, less than 500 tickets are available for the games against University of Louisiana at Monroe and Tennessee. Fewer than 1,000 remain for the Eastern Kentucky game.
* ULM, Oct. 24, 7 p.m., $35 each
* Mississippi State (Homecoming), Oct. 31, 7 p.m., $40 each
* Eastern Kentucky, Nov. 7, 1 p.m. $35 each
* Tennessee, Nov. 28, time TBA, $40 each
Tickets may be purchased in-person at the Joe Craft Center Athletics Ticket Office, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., on the phone by calling 800-928-2287, or via the Internet at ukathletics.com or ticketmaster.com.
The available seats are unused tickets from the visiting team allotment. Kentucky sold out of all available season tickets this season.
“Cat Walk” Set for 4:45: Fans wishing to participate in the “Cat Walk,” cheering the Wildcats when they enter Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday, should be at Gate One of the stadium at 4:45 p.m.
TV LIneup for ULM Game: The ULM at Kentucky game will be televised live on these channels:
* Fox Sports South
* Fox Sports Southwest
* Sun Sports
* Fox Sports Houston
* Fox Sports Wisconsin
* FSN Rocky Mountain
The game also will be shown live via the Internet at ESPN360.com.
In addition, the game will be shown on a delayed basis on these channels
* Fox Sports Ariziona, Sun. Oct. 25, 4 p.m. PT
* Fox Sports Midwest, Sun. Oct. 25, 1 p.m. CT
* Fox Sports West, Sat. Oct. 24, 11 p.m. PT
Coach Rich Brooks Press Conference
Coach John Calipari Press Conference
Coach Craig Skinner Press Conference
Coach Ian Collins Press Conference
MBK Games Delayed Per SEC Regulations
Get More Info/Complete Schedule
Printer-friendly format Email this article
CBS College Sports
Visit other CBS Interactive Sites