You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
as an alabamian, the kennedys were not very popular down here. i was in the 7th grade when president kennedy was killed, and i remember children actually clapping, that is how deep the hatred toward the kennedys were, as i grew older i became to appreciate things like president kennedys world war II service to his country that became a movie,, i will say probably no political family ever suffered more for their county in the lives lost, in service of their county, i always wondered how it would have been if president kennedy would have lived..he said we will go to the moon before the decade is out and we did,, i know they made mistakes as most all ppl do. but i remember and lived as we all did through the cuban missile crisis . ted worked with republicans for some good legislation..he worked for healthcare and no matter how it turn out. it is ashame he can not take a part, take care,

2 Re: END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 pm

gypsy

I agree Rosco,.on the dying for their country, an working for the people.. I think the reason the Kennedy s might have been hated by some, was because of their religion,or because they were for minorities!
where I grew up in Missouri most everyone liked the Kennedy's not all but most..
I personally liked them all.

3 Re: END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 pm

I was in the 8th. I was skipping school that day (Friday?) and I was pissed because it became immediately apparant that is ALL that would be on TV all damn weekend. Ugh. I have nothing good to say about the Kennedys as a family. Pushy limousine liberals. However. as far as I know,they all worked hard and did their government duties. Ted is reported to have fully represented the folks in his district,and I don't think we can ask for more than that. So many don't.JFK took responsibility fot the Bay of Pigs fiasco and faced down Kruschev,, Robert nailed Hoffa and many mob guys, and Ted did his job and never hesitated to work "across the aisle".Their personal pecadillos were irrelevant to me. I have been drunk and had a wreck and it is only a matter of luck that I didn't kill somebody.I doubt I would have handled Ted's accident any better than he did.

4 Re: END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm

SSC

Admin
I was in band class the day JFK was killed, I remember my parents not being very upset but neither were many of the local farmers. Ted Kennedy in his 45 years in service has left some lasting differences and the family has suffered from death time and time again...I agree he was 100% for the people he served and that is all that can be asked.

5 Re: END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:02 pm

gypsy

I was married an had two Children. my son(2nd) child was just a few weeks old when JFK was killed. I was cooking ,when i heard it on the radio..

I remember so much weeping, an sadness,we didn't have a tv( were poor then),but also rich in many ways// went to mom/dads an watched it.

6 Re: END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:16 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
the reason johnK was so hated here , was like at the edmond petus bridge where marchers were beat with nite sticks by i think highway patrol. and the national guard stood by and watched, that is when john K , federalized the alabama national guard, my guard unit was activated for all this, well before i was old enough to be in it, but the old timers said the only difference was before they faced the marchers, and after federalized the had their back to them as if they were protecting them, it is not a pretty picture of my state back in the early 60s , with the bombing of the 16th street baptist church where 4 precious little black girls were killed while in sunday school, and police dogs tore the flesh from ppl, and ppl were knocked to the ground by the high pressure of fire hoses, bull connor was the police chief which his name will go down in history as the one who ordered the police to do this, it was a tough time for my state. take care

7 Re: END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 pm

gypsy

yes I remember watching all that, it made me cry..a lot of states/mostly southern states were very prejudiced

8 Re: END OF CAMELOT on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:45 pm

SSC

Admin
Even today there is not alot of forgiveness in the southern states

9 Re: END OF CAMELOT Today at 3:26 pm

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum