You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 White House to Abandon Spy-Satellite Program on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:58 pm

rosco 357


Veteran
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124572555214540265.html

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration plans to kill a controversial Bush administration spy satellite program at the Department of Homeland Security, according to officials familiar with the decision.

The program came under fire from its inception two years ago. Democratic lawmakers said it would lead to domestic spying.
Document

The program would have provided federal, state and local officials with extensive access to spy-satellite imagery — but no eavesdropping capabilities— to assist with emergency response and other domestic-security needs, such as identifying where ports or border areas are vulnerable to terrorism.

It would have expanded an Interior Department satellite program, which will continue to be used to assist in natural disasters and for other limited security purposes such as photographing sporting events. The Wall Street Journal first revealed the plans to establish the program, known as the National Applications Office, in 2007.

"It's being shut down," said a homeland security official.

The Bush administration had taken preliminary steps to launch the office, such as acquiring office space and beginning to hire staff.

The plans to shutter the office signal Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano's decision to refocus the department's intelligence on ensuring that state and local officials get the threat information they need, the official said. She also wants to make the department the central point in the government for receiving and analyzing terrorism tips from around the country, the official added.

Lawmakers alerted Ms. Napolitano of their concerns about the program-that the program would violate the Fourth amendment right to be protected from unreasonable searches-before her confirmation hearing.

Once she assumed her post, Ms. Napolitano ordered a review of the program and concluded the program wasn't worth pursuing, the homeland official said. Department spokeswoman Amy Kudwa declined to speak about the results of the review but said they would be announced shortly.

The lawmakers were most concerned about plans to provide satellite imagery to state and local law enforcement, so department officials asked state and local officials how useful that information would be to them. The answer: not very useful.

"In our view, the NAO is not an issue of urgency," Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton, wrote to Ms. Napolitano on June 21.

Writing on behalf of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, Chief Bratton said that were the program to go forward, the police chiefs would be concerned about privacy protections and whether using military satellites for domestic purposes would violate the Posse Comitatus law, which bars the use of the military for law enforcement in the U.S.

Rep. Jane Harman (D., Calif.), who oversees the House Homeland Security subcommittee on intelligence, said she was alarmed when she recently saw that the Obama administration requested money for the program in a classified 2010 budget proposal. She introduced two bills that would terminate the program.

"It's a good decision," Ms. Harman said in an interview. "This will remove a distraction and let the intelligence function at [the department] truly serve the community that needs it, which is local law enforcement."

Supporters of the program lamented what they said was the loss of an important new terrorism-fighting tool for natural disasters and terrorist attacks, as well as border security.

"After numerous congressional briefings on the importance of the NAO and its solid legal footing, politics beat out good government," said Andrew Levy, who was deputy general counsel at the department in the Bush administration.

Write to Siobhan Gorman at siobhan.gorman@wsj.com

SSC


Admin
Well here it starts 1 X for security, two more to go and we are truely screwed.

gypsy


Moderator
rosco 357 wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124572555214540265.html

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration plans to kill a controversial Bush administration spy satellite program at the Department of Homeland Security, according to officials familiar with the decision.

The program came under fire from its inception two years ago. Democratic lawmakers said it would lead to domestic spying.
Document

The program would have provided federal, state and local officials with extensive access to spy-satellite imagery — but no eavesdropping capabilities— to assist with emergency response and other domestic-security needs, such as identifying where ports or border areas are vulnerable to terrorism.

It would have expanded an Interior Department satellite program, which will continue to be used to assist in natural disasters and for other limited security purposes such as photographing sporting events. The Wall Street Journal first revealed the plans to establish the program, known as the National Applications Office, in 2007.

"It's being shut down," said a homeland security official.

The Bush administration had taken preliminary steps to launch the office, such as acquiring office space and beginning to hire staff.

The plans to shutter the office signal Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano's decision to refocus the department's intelligence on ensuring that state and local officials get the threat information they need, the official said. She also wants to make the department the central point in the government for receiving and analyzing terrorism tips from around the country, the official added.

Lawmakers alerted Ms. Napolitano of their concerns about the program-that the program would violate the Fourth amendment right to be protected from unreasonable searches-before her confirmation hearing.

Once she assumed her post, Ms. Napolitano ordered a review of the program and concluded the program wasn't worth pursuing, the homeland official said. Department spokeswoman Amy Kudwa declined to speak about the results of the review but said they would be announced shortly.

The lawmakers were most concerned about plans to provide satellite imagery to state and local law enforcement, so department officials asked state and local officials how useful that information would be to them. The answer: not very useful.

"In our view, the NAO is not an issue of urgency," Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton, wrote to Ms. Napolitano on June 21.

Writing on behalf of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, Chief Bratton said that were the program to go forward, the police chiefs would be concerned about privacy protections and whether using military satellites for domestic purposes would violate the Posse Comitatus law, which bars the use of the military for law enforcement in the U.S.

Rep. Jane Harman (D., Calif.), who oversees the House Homeland Security subcommittee on intelligence, said she was alarmed when she recently saw that the Obama administration requested money for the program in a classified 2010 budget proposal. She introduced two bills that would terminate the program.

"It's a good decision," Ms. Harman said in an interview. "This will remove a distraction and let the intelligence function at [the department] truly serve the community that needs it, which is local law enforcement."

Supporters of the program lamented what they said was the loss of an important new terrorism-fighting tool for natural disasters and terrorist attacks, as well as border security.

"After numerous congressional briefings on the importance of the NAO and its solid legal footing, politics beat out good government," said Andrew Levy, who was deputy general counsel at the department in the Bush administration.

Write to Siobhan Gorman at siobhan.gorman@wsj.com

good
I think spying on private citizens is not right

SSC


Admin
We in hurricane prone areas Tyler, Moon and myself are helped with the aid of the satellite in weather predictions.

gypsy


Moderator
The lawmakers were most concerned about plans to provide satellite imagery to state and local law enforcement, so department officials asked state and local officials how useful that information would be to them. The answer: not very useful.

"In our view, the NAO is not an issue of urgency," Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton, wrote to Ms. Napolitano on June 21.

SSC


Admin
Then I guess you are opposed to it being used for border surveillance ?

gypsy


Moderator
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31504652/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/


States could lose money over prison rapes
Facilities must find ways to curb sex assaults in lockup, federal report says


Most viewed on msnbc.com
updated 12:47 p.m. PT, Tues., June 23, 2009

WASHINGTON - States receiving federal money for prisons could see their funding cut if they fail to adopt new measures to reduce sexual violence in correctional and detention facilities nationwide, according to a report released Tuesday.

The National Prison Rape Elimination Commission issued an extensive report, five years in making, that found that more than 60,000 inmates are sexually abused every year.

Based on a 2007 survey of tens of thousands of incarcerated people, 4.5 percent of those surveyed reported being sexually abused in the previous 12 months — and more prisoners claimed abuse by staff than by other inmates.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The commission recommended that jails and prisons take steps to reduce rapes behind bars, including adoption of zero tolerance policies, better staff training, and improved screening to identify prisoners vulnerable to abuse.


Should states be held accountable?

"Individuals who are incarcerated have basic human rights," said U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton, chairman of the commission. "Just because they've committed a crime and they're incarcerated does not mean that their human dignity can be abused."

The proposed standards are being sent to Attorney General Eric Holder, who has a year to write new national standards. States will be notified of the finalized standards and then have a year to adopt them and begin complying. If they don't, they risk losing 5 percent of any federal prison grant money.

Among the commission's key findings:

* Inmates who were short, young, gay, or female were more likely to be victimized than other inmates.
* Inmates in jails reported fewer instances of rape than in prisons.
* Who gets abused depends a great deal on where they are incarcerated. Ten facilities studied had high rates, between 9 percent and almost 16 percent, whereas six facilities reported no abuse at all for the past year. The facilities or locations were not named.

The commission said prison management must show leadership in stopping such abuse. The panel's report also recommended that prison authorities adopt more internal monitoring, such as video cameras, as well as external oversight by review boards.

SSC


Admin
Try starting a new thread, that article had nothing to do with this thread .

rosco 357


Veteran
i agree what does that article have to do with the satellite system, i was lost. but i dont have a strong opinion, maybe it is not needed or maybe it is, i like the border security part the most.. again that article gypsy needed to be in a new thread. nothing wrong with the article, but in the wrong place, take care

gypsy


Moderator
okey dokey~ was just avoiding conflict by changing the subject~~

SSC


Admin
HAHAHAHA

gypsy


Moderator
rosco 357 wrote:i agree what does that article have to do with the satellite system, i was lost. but i dont have a strong opinion, maybe it is not needed or maybe it is, i like the border security part the most.. again that article gypsy needed to be in a new thread. nothing wrong with the article, but in the wrong place, take care
well the border patrol part I agree, but the satellite is not essential that much has been decided .

as far as the article i didn't think it mattered about new thread,most of the thread was not being followed anyway.

SSC


Admin
You're nuts the whole discussion was on track till you posted about prison rape..get with it Gypsy

gypsy


Moderator
Rosco so if i wanted to change ,subject in this thread it is not allowed? like talking in a real convo, that would be what I mean..
I understand with the replies though, so I see that... for the other thread, but they can quote from the orginal message.
I get it though cheers

SSC


Admin

gypsy


Moderator
its scooby do though, I feel that the thread is changed when someone always puts some words or feature or wise crack that does not pertain to the thread~just my opinion~

SSC


Admin
Like you are doing now ?

gypsy


Moderator
nope like you do~

19 Re: White House to Abandon Spy-Satellite Program on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:23 pm

SSC


Admin
Well Gypsy I'll be the bigger person leave the site and go play my games , so talk to your fucking self.

20 Re: White House to Abandon Spy-Satellite Program on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 pm

runawayhorses


Owner
NO SSC don't say that!! You know better than that, now come on, talk to me first, you know we can work it out and I'll fix whatever needs fixing.. Jesus H Christ, let me help the situation, or are you just saying your going to play your games now and will be back later?? I seriously don't know..lol

21 Re: White House to Abandon Spy-Satellite Program on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:38 pm

SSC


Admin
Tyler I will never leave the site for good, what I was saying was I was leaving for awhile tonight to get away from Gypsy and her bullshit..and play my games on IYT...I will never let the crazy woman run me away from here I just needed a break tonight.
Thank you for being concerned, but enough was enough for one night with her.

22 Re: White House to Abandon Spy-Satellite Program on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 pm

gypsy


Moderator
since you mentioned my name,I think the same about you..most time I never start these feuds~ but I have offered many times to solve it~ you claimed i entertained you ..I guess not LOL and crazy, umm i think we all can admit to that~Jeeze i thought you were having fun..I can debate with out the use of name calling or cussing~and getting angry. maybe that would help you also..

SSC


Admin
What you can do for me is stop trying to give me advice, surely you know I would never consider anything you suggest. You just stay on your side of the fence and I'll stay on mine, but stop with the kindergarten crap.

gypsy


Moderator
I have done that SSC ,so lets do it!
if i post on your post it will be respectful it always has been~ its a good deal to me~~I am not doing the kindergarten , i was trying to make light of the situation`

runawayhorses


Owner
SSC wrote:Tyler I will never leave the site for good, what I was saying was I was leaving for awhile tonight to get away from Gypsy and her bullshit..and play my games on IYT...I will never let the crazy woman run me away from here I just needed a break tonight.
Thank you for being concerned, but enough was enough for one night with her.
OK good SSC I'm glad to hear that..

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum