Question: How Many Children Have Gay Parents in the US?
# There were an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 gay and lesbian biological parents in 1976.
# In 1990, an estimated 6 to 14 million children have a gay or lesbian parent.
# Between 8 and 10 million children are being raised in a gay and lesbian households.
Latest statistics from the U.S. Census 2000, the National Survey of Family Growth (2002), and the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (2004) include:
* An estimated two million GLB people are interested in adopting.
* An estimated 65,500 adopted children are living with a lesbian or gay parent.
* More than 16,000 adopted children are living with lesbian and gay parents in California, the highest number among the states.
* Gay and lesbian parents are raising four percent of all adopted children in the United States.
* Adopted children with same-sex parents are younger and more likely to be foreign born.
Adoption and Foster Care by Lesbian and Gay Parents in the United States, Author(s): Gary Gates, Lee M.V. Badgett, Jennifer Ehrle Macomber, Kate Chambers of the Urban Institute.
Working with Gay and Lesbian Adoptive Parents
Back to Gay Adoption Basics.
More Adoption / Foster Care Q&A
Will Children be Teased if They Have Homosexual Parents? - Gay Adoption - G...
* The Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute Explores Barriers to Gay & Les...
* How Many Children Would Be Displaced and How Muc
*h Money Lost if National Ba...
* Will Homosexuals Molest Children? - Gay Adoption Issues and Myths
* Will Children Develop Problems Growing up in an 'Unnatural' Lifesty...