Tuesday, February 03, 2009
RALEIGH, N.C. — MySpace says about 90,000 sex offenders have been identified and removed from its huge social networking Web site.
North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said Tuesday the new figure is nearly double what MySpace officials originally announced last year.
Cooper and Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal have led efforts to make social networking Web sites safer. MySpace executives sent the updated numbers to Blumenthal's office Tuesday.
Last year, the attorneys general got MySpace and rival Facebook to implement dozens of safeguards. That included limits on older users' ability to search the profiles of members under 18.