You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 am

runawayhorses

Owner
Thats why we hire a CPA. My Mom was a CPA and a College Professor in Accounting, but shes gone now and we use a good friend of hers who is also a CPA. I don't pretend to understand any of it, so I just take the easy way out and hire someone else to do it..

27 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Fri May 23, 2008 2:08 pm

meemoon wrote:Heh,heh,heh. I wonder what Mays thinks of our taxation syatem now? Every year, the pols promise to simplify the tax code and, every year, it gets more complicated. I think this las travesty had over 4000 pages of gobbledy gook, and that was just the personal income tax. The total tax code was shown to be a stack of books over 3' tall!

Yes, I was surprised by what you posted.
By following this system everyone ends up in the highest scale eventually.
Luckily they adjust those things over here in a way I can sort of agree with, so it saves me from needing to climb the barricades.

28 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Fri May 23, 2008 2:33 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
i talked to my sister daughter in law, u know the 600 bucks we are getting and 300 for kids, , my sisters son, daughter in law and grandson got only 900, as if u dont even pay income tax u get 300,, the reason why is the daugher in law, told me she did not know if they would get anything since they have not had to pay any income tax in several years, my nephew like his father, is in his own business, they use a cpa, he tells them how much to spend , near the end of the year, as my nephew bought this year a tri axle dump truck , a MACK as he does the excavation work for his dads construction business, so each year he shows a loss, therefore no income tax, but stilll got 300 for each family member, but not the 600 for adults, if u paid taxes,

rosco 357

Veteran
here is the tax brackets for 2008 our coming tax brackets we are having deducted in now,

Tax Year: 2000-2008
Filing Status: SingleMarried filing jointlyMarried filing separatelyHead of household
these numbers are before u subtact deductions,itemized or standard ,,plus personel exemptions

If your taxable income is between... your tax bracket is: for the year 2008
and % 0 and 8025 ---------------------10%
and % 8,025and 32550 ---------------15%
and % 32,550 and 78850-------------25%
and % 78850 and 164,550------------28%
and % 164550 and 357,700-----------33%
and % 357.700and above-------------35%

BUT if ur single and filing that way standard deductions , plus personel exemptios, that total is 9,050 and filing jointly for a couple with no children it would be 18,700 so subtract that from those income totals and that is what u pay on ur top money, but not all ur money. u still pay 10 percent on the first 8025 , and so on, plus ur W2 form is with out what u pay on healthcare insurance and what u contribute to a 401 if u have one , my company matches 50 cents on the dollar up to 6 percent of my salary, so health and 401 would not be reflected in the amount u make or even show on ur w2 as income ,, as i said its taken out in pretax dollars, ofcourse what ur company contributes is not counted, i imagine a company get a tax break on what they contribute, some companys match dollar per dollar, some 25cent on the dollar, and some 75 a cents on the dollar, and some nothing..one reason companies match is to get u to take part, because the big dogs in ur company, want to contribute alot, and a 401 in a company cant get top heavy, the big dogs are limited to what they can contibute depending on what say hourly workers contibute, it cant be top heavy, many companies have meeting encouraging ppl to start a 401. i do, but they are not fooling me ,its because it helps it not be top heavy, i learned most of this from my x's company as her company explained thing well and they do dollar per dollar, lots of pll get excited over talk of a flat tax, that is why i do my own taxes so i can understand them, just as i still use a SLR manual camera , so i never forget how a camera works, plus with a manual camera , u can choose the options u want, like apature or shutter speed pritority, but back to taxes in the flat tax the high end would make out like bandits , and the lower class would pay more, but many do not realize that. many think if they are in the 25 percent bracket all there money is on 25 precent that is not the case,what they make from 8 to 32 thousand is taxed on 15 percent, some may just have a small amount in the 25 percent part, ok i will hush lol, lots of ppl itemize, like with a high house payment, i forget i use to take off child day care which is alot, i also think u can set up like healthcare a childcare day fund taken out in pretax bucks and pay the day care out of that, but im not real sure, but i think so. when seeing these brackets u can see why the republicans do not want dems to win as they want to change them so the top pays more . like hillary wants the 33 to go to 39 like bill clinton had, take care

30 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Thu May 29, 2008 11:24 am

runawayhorses

Owner
My first car was a 1970(s) Buick LeSabre that was given to me by my Dad. It was his old car and he let me have it when he bought a new one. Then later I bought an OLD "63" ford pickup truck with 3 on the column. It had an old time floor furnace heater. I didn't know if you were supposed to put a block of wood in their to make it work or not, so I never used it..lmao It had no 'power' anything just as raw as it gets, Then I bought a 1980(s) Chevy Blazer 4x4. I loved that becuase I fixed it up big-time with huge monster mud tires and a 6" lift-kit. Totally awesome. Then I wanted something way smaller so I bought a chevy chevette with a small 4 cylinder engine. It was nice but sloooow. Then I graduated to a Buick Skylark that had a 6 cylinder. It was much nicer. Then I wanted another 4x4 so I traded that in on a Renegade CJ-7 that was totally maxed out with really nice tires, rims, rollbar, high-bucket seats, stereo, you name it, it had it. Then I bought a Camaro that was really nice. Clean, simple. After that I bought a chevy Monte Carlo, which was very fast but leaked oil like a damn water faucet. So then I got bored with that and bought a Mitsubishi little truck, it was Ok, but was just a tool to get around town with. Then I bought another Chevy Camaro that was jet-black and was really nice. I wreaked thou a few times. It was never my fault mind you, so I never got a ticket. But I did haul-ass in it quite a bit. Then I bought a Ford F-150 4x4 that was totally awesome too, it had the big tires with a 6" lift-kit, sliding rear window, tinted glass, 4 on the floor stick-shift, cruse control, power everything, in a word, it was fantastic. I'm sure I forgot a few rides but thats what I remember off hand. Now I drive a newer Buick LeSabre again.

Who knows what I'll get next, stay tuned. :)

31 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Thu May 29, 2008 8:26 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
u know years ago, i use to keep up with all cars, would know what engines u could get in them,, but now, so many models, and the imported cars, constanly changing, i gave up on keeping up . i do on some, i guess there willl always be ppl that can afford big suvs but mostly the gas to drive them. but say a ford expedition, i bet with gas prices the bottom is falling out of resale prices on them or will, but heck i see so many smaller cars on the freeway, some i have to look close to even know what brand they are., things sure have changed, years ago i figured a KIA would fade away, and for a few years they almost did, but seem to be making a big comeback as i see many of them now, my cousin is high up at a large car dealer here that selll so many brands, he a few years ago told me not to get a hyundia, and they sold them, but now he said quality of hyundia's has improved, alot, ,,,, we had some classes at work about manufacturing techniques and was told that hyundia studied how toyota manufactured and assembled cars and copied everything toyota does..oh well i will hush, lol

32 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Fri May 30, 2008 11:41 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
meemoon wrote:When my mother started looking for a new car about 1 1/2 years ago, I recommended a KIA. "hundies" were also seen as junk for a while, but Lo and Behold, they started producing very good cars with 100,000 mi warranties. Hyundai bought out KIA, and they are basically the same cars. Let's face it, the early Japanese cars WERE junky and Korea only made motorcycles. Now, Honda, Mazda, and Toyota are producing premium cars with excellent reps. American manufacturers are wholly up to par (Buick just placed 3d in the JD Powers quality survey worldwide) but their reputation may be forever tarnished. Tip: The guy who is host of "Top Gear" is an America basher, but it is the best car show I've ever seen.

i did not know hyundia bought out kia, thanks for that info, yes the warrantee is great, my daughter got a new honda crv, as my son in law loves anything honda, lawnmowers, and all but her car, is making a noise, and i dont understand any of it or if my facts are correct, but they want like 500 bucks on that new honda, to change out the transmission fluid, that must not be it , it does not make sence, we have a hyundia plant in bama now and honda and mercedes, now we hear volkwagon is coming, we will see, as i said i got a nissan versa, which i like, but i miss the day i could work on them myself, i will look for the show top gear thanks, and i hate to see a toyota beat an american car in nascar racing,

33 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sat May 31, 2008 10:22 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
hey. my versa, i got for gas milage to work .. some got more, but my uncle had a nissan dealership years ago, so he know them all,so he took me, and i got a good deal, but what i wrote about is i have automatic, the overdrive gear stays on ur shift arm in the console has a button on the side to mash and turn it off, and it shows a yellow message on the dash that says OD OFF< but i leave it on...that car comes in the version with the belt transmission that i think has pulleys that open up and close up thereby changing ratio, i mainly know this by a cushman golf cart type thing we had at work that worked that way, u could see it, the faster u went one pulley closed while the other one opened to raise the ratio there by the speed, they do say those trans on my car are good and quiet i have read, but like i said i just have a regualar one with overdrive, i have not aired it out, it has plenty of power for me like on the freeway when merging, in traffic,, it has a 1.8 aluminum, heads and block,, one thing it does marc is when my tire pressure is down it shows a yellow tire on the dash, how it does that i dont have a clue, but it did it adn i checked it and each one had 28 pounds, so i put in 34 adn the light went out, i still have not figured it out, i think next time go back i will ask how it does it, take care,

34 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sat May 31, 2008 10:53 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
hey marc, thanks a bunch, i had no idea, i sure will tell my tire man, as i always us a guy for decades, near my house, he does free rotation and balance every 6000 but it has to be a tire bought there, not on a new car, it a mom and pop place but he is nice, and treats ppl right, and i believe in giving business to locals when i can, thanks again, wow, i never would have thought of that, i rotate my own tires on the new one, i have a compressor, and impact,where i park my car and truck in the basement, but i take my truck to the tire store and get the free balance, they even will break down the tire and rotate it on the rim if they see it running out of round, i think the machine tell them, good ppl, i have known for 30 years, thanks again,, have a nice sunday

35 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 pm

runawayhorses

Owner
Yeah 34 does sound high, most tires are 32, even the big truck tires.

36 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sat May 31, 2008 11:19 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
i just said 34 , i did put what the manual said,, i could not remember, on non new cars i usually run a bit high on the front to save the corners of the tire from wearing ,, and on my truck i sometimes run high, on the rear if im hauling heavy stuff, like a full load of lumbar, but i did check the manual, and did what it said, thanks,

Last edited by rosco 357 on Sat May 31, 2008 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

37 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:40 am

runawayhorses

Owner
I like those Dakota pickup's. Where I used to work the owner had one, and I'd drive it sometimes over to the coast to pick up materials. It was always a relaxing ride. It was a double cab with titled glass and of course, here in Florida it had air conditioning.

In Florida its a "ABSOLUTE MUST" that you have air conditioning.

38 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:21 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
here a few years ago on a different job, we listened tothe radio, and there was a really good mechanic, that had a radio show, u could ask him anything, he had a car repair business also. i say this all since one day he said the Daykota was a good size truck and he liked them, he convenced me to put slick 50 trans adative in the auto trans in my van i had that i totaled, one of the main trans places here uses and recomendes it, but i have not used it since, my truck is manual shift in the floor, its a ford 150 with the last year they made the 4.9 inline straight,,, but its still has not many miles, and stays in the basement alot, so it is in great shape, but it sucked gas, so that is why i got the versa after i bounced off trees going down a hill in the van, im lucky to be here, the paramedic could not believe i climbed out of it, i would post pics of it wrecked, but would not want to leave it here, if tyler reads this, can one post pics in pms???? that way i could do it and send them to u too,, well marc good luck with the truck, i use to have a 77 datsun for 18 years , first year of factory air, andthe air, sucked, lol, but i one day was cutting firewood, in the woods i had a united states steel permit, and my brother in law had a toyota, side by side, the fire wood was to the top of the cab, i could pull offs and good to go, his would not move, lol, and he had to unload some till he could pull off, that made my day, i probabaly had a lower first gear , or rear end, but he was embarasssed, lol

39 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:38 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
yep this maybe the same kinda thing, i suspose to take the whole outdrive off my inboard outboard stern drive boat and grease the universal joints, adn use an alinment tool to make sure the engine which has an adjustment in the fron of it, is inline, but anyway, i mounted a boat winch to my floor joist adn run the cable though a pully, then down, and my outdrive has a dip stick in the top that doubles for a 1/2 inch eyebolt , so it will hold my outdrive, but its a pain to get that crap all back together. im really tough on lawn mowers, i have put and its been years ago, new i think called jack shafts that have worn out, gee u just gave me something else i need to do, lol,, ugg, take care, walmart time,
oh i was always a gm guy, but one year, at year end, ford in 95 put out a factory discount short bed, 150, all colores, but all with grey on the bottom about 6 inches up , the factory added air, cloth seats, wheel well crome, crome wheels,white letter tires,,but took all that off the sticker from the factory, and the dealer discounted it even more, and sold them for 12 , 990, i knew i would never get a new truck that cheep, mine is bright red , grey bottom, i did go to one of the aftermarket parts places and got a crome grill and headlight doors and took off the dark grey ones, and put rails and tool box on the back and bed liner, and to this day i get compliments on it , i have heard that 4.9 engine straight 6, was one of the better engines they ever made, lots of torqe, so that was my first adn only ford, it does not ride like a chevy, but in 96 ford replaced that engine with a v6 to lower the hood and changed from the twin i beam suspension, i have.so the newer ones ride better, but i think my front suspension suspose to last a long time, but like i said, it goes to the lake and walmart, lol, but stays inthe basement alots,
but price sold it, that was the same time they were selling rangers for 10,990,, well i need to run, walmarts calling , be back later,

40 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:45 pm

runawayhorses

Owner
I like that Moon, it works the same as chain pulleys for hoisting engines and achieves the same results. Beats the hell out of trying to lift it in there..lmao

I didn't know about your leg, sorry to hear that. I agree with you about the automatic trans, before I sold my 4x4 F-150 that had 4 on the floor and I was going to get a auto trans put in it. Mostly becuase I got sick of shifting it at traffic lights every 5 seconds, and yes I think the torque is just as powerful, only difference might be that you can't pop the clutch and yank something or someone out of a tight spot like getting stuck in a freakin mud hole or something - but auto is the way to for me now days.

41 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:13 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
well my generation had milk man come to deliver milk to the porch, pasturized so it had cream on top, then came the quik marts, and that kinda was the end to the milk man,,i remember ice houses they may still have them, i dont know,

42 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:56 pm

SSC

Admin
We had cows, I milked and also churned butter. We canned many vegetables, and raised and slaughtered our own pork and beef.
We had a truck farm, and pickers would come. You haven't lived till you had a dress made from a flour sack..lol
I miss those days, life seemed very simple then. Even the winters were always an adventure, snow icecream, chopping the ice on the pond for the cattle to drink, waiting for the snowplows to clear the roads...chopping wood for the fireplace...the smell of homemade breads , fresh fruit jellies...rabbit and quail hunting in the back fields...sure wish time would warp in reverse !!!

43 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 am

rosco 357

Veteran
SSC wrote:We had cows, I milked and also churned butter. We canned many vegetables, and raised and slaughtered our own pork and beef.
We had a truck farm, and pickers would come. You haven't lived till you had a dress made from a flour sack..lol
I miss those days, life seemed very simple then. Even the winters were always an adventure, snow icecream, chopping the ice on the pond for the cattle to drink, waiting for the snowplows to clear the roads...chopping wood for the fireplace...the smell of homemade breads , fresh fruit jellies...rabbit and quail hunting in the back fields...sure wish time would warp in reverse !!!

was that a little house on the prarie episode, lol, noooo just kidding, actually, it sounded very nice, i had some of those experiences but not all, we would buy butter from the local farmers at the lake , and mom would pick veggies out of the preacher garden that she had known most her life, he move up there, and she would have a great supper ready after me and daddy had worked all day, but my mom never canned things she did freeze corn, cut off, but mainly like u it would be so nice to roll back the time, visited the cemetary on fathers day, so feeling a bit nastalgic, take care, i miss lots of thing,, thanks for those memories,

44 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 am

gypsy

I had earlier spoke about working in the fields through summer, of course it started with the hoeing, back then we had to thin the cotton and the corn, planters then didn't space it like it does today,plus now they plant corn thick..

well any way the fun part was being picked up by the farm truck..

we did have a few mexicans then working for us, but mostly blacks~ and I wasn't kidding dad thought it was good for us to learn physical work..
I truely believe he was right..
but back to fun part.. was the blacks, and their songs, and story telling,,all day they sing from morning till we left at five..
also them telling us u kids cover ur skin, u burn ..and one kid in the group ask if their color rubbed off, he laughed and said no chile,..

I remember that black Gumbo dirt sticking to our shoes like glue~

Last edited by gypsy on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

45 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 pm

SSC

Admin
A very fond time was during the hay season, we were let out of school and traveled from farm to farm helping get the hay crops in before the rains came. The women would come to the fields and bring dinner, a spread to behold. Being young my job was to help buck the hay into the loft, every once in awhile Papa would let me drive the hay truck or one of the teams of horses pulling hay wagons. We always rested on Sunday unless a srorm was coming , guess they figured God would forgive them .

46 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
welll my farm experences were limited to my uncles farms, one had a farm not a long way away, but my cousin was close to my age so we did stay there on weekends some but they did not live there, we put hay in the truck and some bags of feed pellets, big pellets, and go out to feed the cattle, of course when they saw the truck here they came. my cousin had a horse so we caught it, after we found it, he always had a bucket of feed with the bit in in , i liked to drive the tractor, my uncle would let me bushhog some of the pastures, i thought it was fun , like a ride, lol, he was getting free help, lol, we would work on the fences some,
when my uncle bought one farm at the lake as most us cousins were at the lake on weekends, that farm house the ppl left the bib overalls i guess u call them , and my uncle gave each kid a pair and that night we all wore them and had a weenie roast, and we rode dirt bikes up there, i was lucky that in the neighborhood i was raise in,it was a few miles from US Steel, plant and back then the plant was huge, open hearth and so many steel product, alot of the ppl in the neighbor hood, worked there, but i had a cousin on almost every block ,, since my mom was one of 8 kids, well i am coming down with a sore throat, and sinus, so thing i will get offline early tonight, and get more sleep,

47 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:49 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
meemoon wrote:I have a specific concern about the widening income gap (proven by stats I'm too lazy to look up). Wells, Orwell, and Kafka visualized a society ruled by oligarchs. People who may, or may not have wealth. Those "powers that be" may be a GS10 or a CEO. At some point, to those who have no sense of social resposibility, money becomes meaningless. Power compels, attracts, becomes the prime mover. The poorest of us should raise holy hell about grossly overpaid CEOs and bought,outta control boards of directors. This would not be whining. We must insist on responsibility. We can hope for true equality later.

marc, this is not exactly or maybe even close to ur point, but the county south of birmingham, is just exploding, with such real expensive houses, and u know those houses around real nice golf courses they hold celebrity tourney here, i see all these houses so expensive, and just say, where in the hell do all these ppl work, i mean some of these are mansions,ceo's sometimes i wonder i know they have degrees in business, but i wonder sometimes, if they are all that smart to make those huge bucks,they probably could not even change oil in a car, lol,,

48 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:29 pm

gypsy

I remember summer nights, kids in the neigborhood would gather at mostly our house, we farmed, but got the advantage of living in town..

well anyway,we would play hide and seek, kick the can,catch fireflies and wear them on our fingers like diamonds.. it was so much fun..
also we girls would make jewelry out of clover, and little dolls from holly hock flowers~ we never were bored

ride our bikes and leave secret messages and codes, kind of like a scavenger hunt

put clothes pins and card board on our bikes back wheels,,use cans and string for pretend walkie talkies.. saturday afternoon movies..Sunday morning church, then afternoons spent at drug store drinking malts,or cokes, when we got older going to the river,, saturday night drive inns~~ did anyone who went with their boyfriend actually remember the movie< oh dear my dad would ask me what it was about, I had to adlib~ to busy making out, lightly,of course..LOL..Oh my what a fun era~~

Last edited by gypsy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total

49 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:49 am

rosco 357

Veteran
gypsy wrote:I remember summer nights, kids in the neigborhood would gather at mostly our house, we farmed, but got the advantage of living in town..

well anyway,we would play hide and seek, kick the can,catch fireflies and wear them on our fingers like diamonds.. it was so much fun..
also we girls would make jewelry out of clover, and little dolls from holly hocks flowers~ we never were bored

ride our bikes and leave secret messages and codes, kind of like a scavenger hunt

put clothes pins and card board on our bikes back wheels,,use cans and string for pretend walkie talkies.. saturday afternoon movies..Sunday morning church, then afternoons spent at drug store drinking malts,or cokes, when we got older going to the river,, saturday night drive inns~~ Oh my what a fun era~~

oh yea i remember most all that but we did not have a malt shop,, but the cardbord on the spokes of the bikes ,and even better a balloon on the spokes, was even louder, and catching fire flys,

50 Re: share things about ur generation!!! on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:59 am

gypsy

we would also put fire flies in a jar with clover, punch holes in the lids, and go to bed with them flickering~ was a beautiful, wonderful memory, of course the next morning we would turn them loose, wonder if we ever caught the same one twice~~~nah!! lol also we called them lightening bugs!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum