You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Hug a tree on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:26 pm

SSC

Admin
at this time the majority of alternative cars are death traps due to their compact size, I passed a car on the interstate that was smaller than my master bed room closet..would I drive one of those to save gas...hell no..not gonna be blown off the road by a semi..my truck feels the pull when a semi boots by me doing 75..the way the figures are playing out right now the answer to decreased fuel usage is higher prices, thus cutting down on unnecessary driving, fuel consumption was falling rapidly with the higher prices

27 Another gas alternative on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 pm

SSC

Admin
GM Executive Raises Natural Gas As Alternative To Gasoline

August 04, 2008: 03:21 PM EST

DETROIT -(Dow Jones)- General Motors Corp. (GM) may add natural gas to the arsenal of energy alternatives it hopes will one day make gasoline a scarcity on U.S. roads.

GM's top researcher said in a recent blog posting that the auto maker considers natural gas an "enticing" alternative to petroleum, signaling a new interest in the fuel by GM as it struggles to combat the effects of soaring gasoline prices.

"It is abundant, affordable and relatively clean," Larry Burns, GM vice president of research and development, said in a posting on GM's Fastlane blog.

The world's auto makers are scrambling to find new, commercially viable alternatives to gasoline as the reality of $4-per-gallon gasoline wreaks havoc on the U.S. auto industry.

But while companies launch high-profile plans to shift toward battery power, hydrogen and ethanol, little has been said about natural gas. Natural gas is cleaner burning and about half as expensive as gasoline, but is also much harder to find and less efficient in terms of energy density.

"In the near term, we can use compressed natural gas in internal combustion engines," Burns wrote. "In the long term, natural gas could be an excellent source for making hydrogen for fuel cell vehicles, either at the filling station or in people's homes."

GM has focused its alternative-energy efforts in the U.S. at developing battery-powered vehicles, such as the Chevrolet Volt, and hydrogen vehicles. The auto maker also has touted controversial corn-based ethanol as an interim solution.

The auto industry's efforts to wean consumers off gasoline have gained urgency as the soaring cost of gasoline cannibalizes sales of profitable pickups and SUVs. Auto makers also face stricter fuel economy and environmental regulations from states and the federal government, and political fallout from the green movement sweeping the nation.

"Natural gas is clean, it's easy to design engines for it - it's a great energy alternative," said Joseph Phillippi of AutoTrends Consulting in Short Hills, N.J.

The biggest roadblock to natural gas is that it can't provide the same driving range as can gasoline or diesel fuel, Phillippi said. Most conventional vehicles can drive 300 to 400 miles between refueling. Safety also is an issue since natural gas is stored in compressed form.

Infrastructure is less of an issue, Phillippi said, because it would be relatively easy and affordable to set up at-home refueling stations since many homes already use natural gas.

Honda Motor Co. (HMC) is the U.S. industry's biggest natural gas player to date, selling the Honda Civic GX NGV, which runs on the fuel. The natural gas Civic costs about $7,000 more than a conventional version and is available only in California and New York. Both states have a network of natural gas stations.

Natural gas is used as a fueling source in other nations, but hasn't been commercially viable in the U.S., in large part because there is a lack of fueling infrastructure. GM has a natural gas-powered vehicle in Europe, the Opel Zafira CNG van.

Burns said natural gas also may be used in the Volt, a car GM aims to build by 2010 that would run on battery power with an onboard motor used for refueling. That motor, Burns said, could potentially run on natural gas.

He also said auto makers would need government support in the form of tax incentives and infrastructure support to make natural gas a viable alternative.

"Ultimately, the cost of vehicle technology and fuel will determine whether customers embrace natural gas as an automotive fuel," he said.

-By Sharon Terlep, Dow Jones Newswires; 248-204-5532; sharon.terlep@ dowjones.com

http://money.cnn.com

28 Re: Hug a tree on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:58 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
gypsy wrote:how do u know i haven't bought one? u posted on my post so i figured the hush was meant for me~ and so right back to u..I can't put out what? Money?? pissing in the wind>>
take care and cowboy up!!

i have been cowboying up all day at work, i did not say u did not buy a new good gas millage car,if u did good for u,, i got a nissan versa, i love it, plenty of room and up to 35 miles a gallon, i usually get 31 but im a bit lead footed, its a hatch back, acually it has as much room as both my daughters bought new honda crvs, but mine get much better millage, and it has plenty of power, some cars get better, i think the toyota corolla gets maybe better, but not sure, it pays for itself in the gas saving over my truck,,and is rated one of the safest ,, it has side air bags, all i was trying to say alternative cars will not be cheap, so cowboy up, lol

29 Re: Hug a tree on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:00 pm

gypsy

trees once again just wanted to say i love those beautiful live oaks down in the south, they grow in california also, with the ressurection moss growing up them~ love it~

30 Re: Hug a tree on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:02 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
SSC wrote:GM Executive Raises Natural Gas As Alternative To Gasoline

August 04, 2008: 03:21 PM EST

DETROIT -(Dow Jones)- General Motors Corp. (GM) may add natural gas to the arsenal of energy alternatives it hopes will one day make gasoline a scarcity on U.S. roads.

http://money.cnn.com

i think ssc, that some busses , mass transit in the city use natural gas, but not sure,

31 Re: Hug a tree on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:05 pm

rosco 357

Veteran
gypsy wrote:trees once again just wanted to say i love those beautiful live oaks down in the south, they grow in california also, with the ressurection moss growing up them~ love it~
i have one oak about 4 ft in diameter or more,,, its huge, its in a line of oak trees, only the last in the line is on my property,, its out behind my back fence since i dont fence in all my property,

32 Re: Hug a tree on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:22 am

rosco 357

Veteran
gypsy wrote:I agree to a degree, i am all far drilling here, if it does not damage the areas, I did a lot of reading today, i agree somewhat..

tell the mid east to kiss it and use what we got, but i think i read it would be 6/10 years before we saw any of that oil drilled from here in the states~

i agree, i would love to be energy free from the middle east, we could and u would never see it, anwar is in the far north i think of alaska, and its the size of a i think carolina state, but forgot what state, lol, and i think they only want to drill in a place as big as the ronald reagan airport, , no big deal to me, hell i did not even hear of an anwar, till this, second, as i have said we have more oil in the oil shale in the rockies,than saudi arabia,, and the rockies are huge, would not process that oil anywhere close to parks or populated places, we have new technology to get it out now, not a problem to me, and drill off shore, i think most of the oil is off california, but u know the left coast, they dont like nothing, , so the atlanic shelf, virginia is already holllering drill here,, but not alot there but some, drill in tylers back yard, lmao, no east gulf, but likd ssc says the rigs are so far out, i will defer to her as she is where they are, bama has had drilling off our coast, and has put the money in a trust fund thing, but not sure its still there, lol, when on vacation, in gulf shores i dont see any rigs, they must be way out there, so i say go for it, so what is our reward, it may take time, but would it not be nice to tell teh middleeast like has been said to kiss our ass, on oil, i say like macain do it all, adn like i said , if they use new land or ocean next to big oil now being pumped, they can get that oil to market in 12 months or less, because i imagine, the pipe lines are close adn could run short ones to connect on, i hear some wells are capped, welll this was on tv, im not saying it true, but was on a news show,the man said the only wells capped in the gulf are the ones they cant get the oil to market, yet, that it takes time to run pipelines, that was said is all i know, one thing, not sure it will come to pass, but it was said china and cuba have been in talks to drill in the florida straits, its international waters, i dont know the law on it, they even talked about slant drilling, i say let us get our oil off our coast, ,, i have seen rigs, they dont look that bad, well just wishing i guess, screw the muslims oil, lol, take care,

33 Re: Hug a tree on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 am

SSC

Admin
the rigs are not only constructed in the gulf they are ready to produce, the big oil companies have some shut down , not for lack of product but to not flood the market and drive the price way down.

34 Re: Hug a tree Today at 5:54 am

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum