* 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 4 green onions, finely chopped (include tops)
* 1 bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
* 1 small hot or mild chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
* 2 cups mashed potatoes
* 2 eggs, beaten
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
* vegetable oil, for deep frying
Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; add the shrimp and cook until pink (2 to 3 minutes depending on size). Remove shrimp from skillet with a slotted spoon, cool slightly, then chop. Set aside. Add the green onions, bell pepper and chile pepper to the butter remaining in the skillet. Saute over medium heat until vegetables are just softened, about 3 minutes. Add mixture to the mashed potatoes and mix well. Stir in the chopped shrimp and beaten eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in some of the bread crumbs, if needed to make the dough stiff enough to form into balls. Shape mixture into 2-inch balls. Put the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Roll the shrimp/potato balls in the crumbs. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy pot to about 360 degrees. Fry the balls 3 or 4 at a time for about 4 minutes, or until browned and crispy on the outside. Remove balls to paper towels; drain and serve immediately.
Makes about 2 dozen small fritters.